Sunday, December 07, 2003

Government School Teachers Are Overpaid by Brad Edmonds

Fantastic piece that touches on a subject dear to my heart. After attending a joke of a public high school and graduating with ridiculously good grades that took little effort to earn, I have experienced first hand what the author is implying. Now, not all government teachers are horrible, just the large majority. I have some good friends that I hope are solid teachers, but the system is the problem. Just one more problem that needs the market to help solve it.

Thomas Sowell has done most of the research on education students and professors for me, and I take his word for it that they are at the bottom of the academic barrel. I do have my own experience to draw on, however: extensive personal experience with an education guru; three years of college teaching experience, where education majors made up the dumbest of my students; experience as a student with fellow students who were education majors, always the dumbest among us; and I looked at the back cover of an enrollment booklet for the GRE in 1996 to see where the majors ranked. Education majors did better than art majors; worse than everybody else.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home