Thursday, March 25, 2004

A 6-11 Player May Go From High School to No. 1 Pick


A good NYT piece on Dwight Howard the consensus number one pick in the upcoming NBA draft. It appears that Dwight is a quality guy (no that that matters all that much, but it is nice to see) though many people said the samething about Kobe Bryant and look what happened to him. Hopefully this draft will not also contain my main man Chris Paul, the up and coming pg of the Demon Deacons.

Howard says he knows the N.B.A. will be more than a physical challenge. He is already preparing for life outside the arena.

His father is a Georgia state trooper and his mother, Sheryl, is a teacher at Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy, a tiny private school Howard has attended since age 4. The school has 362 students, and Howard is one of 13 in his graduating class.

Raised as a Christian, Howard greets all adults with a "Sir" or "Ma'am," and despite his longtime plan to skip college, he has always been a solid student, accumulating a 3.2 grade point average.

His aspirations do not end with the N.B.A. He said he hoped to start a church and do other forms of Christian outreach during his playing career. Upon retirement, he said he might continue his education and begin a quest to enter politics.

"I have to always make sure I'm on top of my game off the court," Howard said. "I have to make sure I stay away from the things that would make me fall into temptation. I don't want to put myself in any predicament of messing up the name that I've got for myself. The guys here already know that I'm not going to go out and party all night and have sex and all that. I want them to look at me as a regular person and say, `Dwight's someone you can look up to.' "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home