Friday, July 26, 2002

An interesting article on breathing through your nose compliments of Hatch.

Douillard's research suggests, in stark contrast with conventional wisdom, that the Zone isn't something elusive or mystical; it's actually achievable and sustainable, as long as one remembers to breathe the right way. During the drill, though, I finally just have to open my mouth. "How long have I been doing this? Three minutes?" I manage to blurt out, gasping.

Douillard smiles. "Try twenty," he says. "That's the first step. Time fades away."

Even if you haven't felt it, you've seen the Zone. In 1976, Olympic decathlete Bruce Jenner described feeling like he was "rising above myself, doing things I had no right to do." Ted Williams said there were times he could see the seams on a fastball. And who could forget Michael Jordan, who, in a 1992 NBA Finals game, made his sixth-straight three-pointer and looked at the camera and simply shrugged his shoulders, as if to say, "Even I can't explain this."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home