Sunday, July 13, 2003

NYT piece on Abercrombie and Fitch and other companies that actively try to hire pretty people. This makes perfect sense especially with AF because this is why they hired me back in my college days (though in my defense the only AF gear I ever rocked was purchased to wear while I worked there). AF did hire my sister though, so I guess it is not a hard fast rule...joking Chels. The article brings to light how close these companies tread to possible discrimination charges. You mean pretty people sell products? No way!!! (via mises blog)

In interviews, managers like Mr. Serrano described a recruiting approach used by Abercrombie, which has become one of the most popular retailers among the nation's youth.

"We were supposed to approach someone in the mall who we think will look attractive in our store," said Mr. Serrano, who said he quit when told he would be promoted only if he accepted a transfer. "If that person said, `I never worked in retailing before,' we said: `Who cares? We'll hire you.' But if someone came in who had lots of retail experience and not a pretty face, we were told not to hire them at all."


What is wrong with this? You think J-Lo is in movies cause she can act? It is smart business and we all experience it everyday. Heck turn on the TV. Pretty pays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home