Monday, January 20, 2003

The amazing mind that is Milton Freedman offers this article compliments of opinion journal about the current Bush tax cut and any tax cut.

I have long said, "I never met a tax cut I didn't like"--though I would go on to say that I like some better than others. The reason for my flat, unhedged statement is neither the Keynesian attribution of an economic stimulus to a tax cut, which I believe is generally wrong, nor the supply-side attribution of favorable incentive effects to a tax cut, which I believe is generally correct. It is, rather, the effect of tax cuts on government spending.

I believe that government is too large and intrusive, that we do not get our money's worth for the roughly 40% of our income that is spent by government--federal, state and local--supposedly on our behalf, or the additional 10% or so of income that residents or businesses spend in response to government mandates and regulation. History suggests that Washington spends whatever it receives in taxes plus as much more as it can get away with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home